If you know me well, you will know that I do love my desserts and my sweets. Unfortunately, my ever-expanding waistline never did agree with my sweet tooth. Alas, there comes a time when your pants start to feel a little bit constricting, which is a sure sign that you should lay off the sweets for a little bit. But there’s a slight problem with that, seeing as how I’d NEVER give up dessert. This, in addition to my well-documented history (or lack thereof) with this thing we call, “Exercise” is kind of what spurred me to try different ways of making something that not only tastes delicious, but is also free from highly-refined and processed products like wheat flour or white sugar. My logic works a little bit like this: Less processed foods = less calories! This probably isn’t the case but who cares! I still consider it to be a win-win situation!
This, my friends, is what led me to this beauty of a brownie recipe. I took a page out of the gluten-free diet and made a batch for the first time earlier this evening.
So, you know how there’s fudge brownies and cake brownies and those that lie perfectly in between the two? This is definitely somewhere along those lines. The almond flour gives it a rather crumbly texture and a crunchy top, but you can definitely taste an ooey-gooey goodness when you bite down into this rich slice of chocolate heaven. This time around, it was a little too sweet for my liking (damn you, Asian tastebuds!), but it was absolutely delicious nonetheless.
My next goal is to make this dessert completely paleo, thus eliminating the need for brown sugar and butter. I might even try a vegan option using avocados! But, since today was my first time making this, I decided to stick to the basics.
Heavenly Gluten-Free Chocolate Brownies
(yields 12 medium slices)
- 150g almond flour
- 2 tbs unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 100g chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all dry ingredients, which includes almond flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Once butter and sugar is mixed, beat egg and vanilla essence in.
- Add almond milk to the creamed butter mixture. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix completely.
- Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- Line a baking pan (8×8) with baking paper or use cooking spray.
- Pour and smooth out batter. Tap it on the counter top a few times to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Check if it’s ready by sticking a toothpick in. If it comes out clean, then it’s cooked!
- Cool completely before cutting.
I made a massive booboo as I was too impatient and didn’t let it cool completely before sinking my teeth into this. This resulted in the biggest crumbly mess all over the counter top and all the way down my shirt. Mess. Oh well, the taste of this was well worth the crumble.
One thing amazing about using almond flour instead of regular flour, is that the spoon-licking process is a lot more pleasant. No more weird lumps of flour on my spoon! Those lumps are absolutely revolting and it’s never nice finding it in the brownie as well.
If I hadn’t made this at 11pm, I would have totally made a chocolate ganache or a salted caramel glaze for this, but I’m a lazy bum and all I wanted to do was satisfy my chocolate brownie cravings. And this. This does the job perfectly. Plain, pure and simple. Nothing tastes better than the sweet, resounding sound of success in the form of chocolate goodness. 🙂